Child support is determined by a mathematical calculation set forth by statute. This calculation process is performed by applying the child support guidelines.
It is mandatory in Maryland that in every case where child support is involved, that legislatively mandated child support guidelines be used.
The guidelines use several factors to calculate support, including, but not limited to:
- Gross income of each party;
- Alimony paid or received in this case;
- Alimony paid in a separate case;
- Child support paid in a separate case;
- Who has the physical custody of the child(ren);
- If physical custody is shared, the number of over-nights each parent has; and
- The cost of the child(ren)’s health insurance, day care, and/or extra-ordinary medical costs.